How to Test for Black Mould
There are many ways to test for black mould, depending on how involved you want to get, how bad you believe the problem to be as well as how large of an area it is that you need to test. There are mould removal companies that can confirm that it is indeed black mould, though you can also buy kits for yourself.
You must first determine if you can see the black mould or not. If you can, it is typically a lot easier because you can confirm simply by looking at the colour and determining if it looks like a fungus or not. It will also probably be deteriorating whatever it is sitting on – regardless of whether it’s a piece of wood, a ceiling tile or something else.
If you cannot see the black mould, there are air tests available using films that can be used. These will help to determine if the mould is present in the atmosphere. The films can be brought into different rooms to confirm which has the highest concentration of the mould spores. The room with the highest is most likely the source of the mould.
Once the mould is confirmed, it must be located. It is always best to have a professional do this as they are prepared for what they will come in contact with and have the proper tools. If you are stubborn and want to look for it yourself first, make sure to have a face mask on so that you do not breathe in any close concentrations of the mould more than you may have already done in the past few weeks or months.
The mould can be virtually anywhere within a house or other building. It is caused because of water leaks, poor drainage and moisture issues in general. In order for the mould to be removed and stay removed, the moisture issues must be corrected so that the mould doesn’t return.
Black mould could be fatal for the residents of the house if left untreated. It can deteriorate floors, ceilings, walls and other infrastructures of a building. More importantly, the black mould produced what is known as Volatile Organic Compounds. These can enter the air and make a person extremely unhealthy.
Many of the symptoms appear to be allergy related at first. Many start with a cough, a headache or irritation to the sinuses. This is because the spores are already working into a person’s respiratory and nervous system. The more exposure for extended periods of time, the more it can lead to more serious problems.
The first step should be testing for the black mould and getting it treated so that the threat is removed. A person can then go to the doctor to see if there is any long-term damage as a result of the black mould.
If caught early enough, black mould doesn’t have to be the end of the world. It can be cleaned up, disposed of and never to be talked about again.